Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Zebra stripe cake

In mid December my hubby's cousin contacted me and asked me if I could help her out and make a cake for her mom's big birthday coming up. (she was turning 39 with 11 years experience. ;)) So after the holidays we got together for a little consult to discuss what she had in mind. The theme of the party was 39 again. It was a surprise party. Her mom loves animal print, particularly zebra print, so I was asked if I could do a cake with zebra print.


The inside of the cake was alternating layers of white and devils food chocolate. I did a strawberry filling in between each layer and covered it in buttercream frosting. Then I covered it with white fondant and did zebra stripes out of black fondant. I finished it off with purple ribbon and a sign on top (made with dowels, and SU cardstock) that said 39 again! Here is the finished product. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. Not bad for my first fondant cake in a couple of years.

No comments: