My sweet wonderful husband made me a second 10 inch dummy cake, this time with holes in it for the pillars so I could actually do the cake with the pillars like they are meant to be.
Here is a close up of the cake, looking down on it a little. Here is a close up of the top tier (left bare on the top so if they get a cake topper they can put it on there). You can also see the scallops on the sides. I did rosettes at the top of each scallop. I did a larger shell border on the bottom of each tier and a small shell border on the top of each tier. A close up shot of one of the roses (the roses are a denim blue, I can't get them darker without the coloring effecting the flavor, this is actually my favorite of my blue colorings too, and the leaves are a Juniper green). I love how the roses came out! They are the best buttercream roses I have every done!
I did try a cake with a more elaborate filigree pattern on the sides, but I did one layer and my hands were killing me. There is no way I would be able to do a cake of that calibure in the amount of time that I have an still be able to function afterwards. So this is about as elaborate as I can get and still be o.k. after making it. This practice cake took about 4 hours (partly because I had no clue where I was going with it when I started it). I would spend 5-6 hours on the actual cake to make sure it is as perfect as I can get it. Such as the scallops being evenly spaced on their actual wedding cake.
We'll see if they like this one. I hope so, I had fun doing it. I'll let you know!