Friday, May 29, 2009

Cooking Ourselves Thin

A few weeks ago on Lifetime a show premiered called Cook Yourself Thin. It's all about how you can still eat the things you want, you just make simple swaps to bring down the fat content and calorie count. I started watching it, very intrigued by the idea. I told hubby about it. He too was intrigued and started watching the show with me. I'll have to admit, we were skeptical... In making cakes they swap ground almonds for the fat from butter and oil (I have to figure out what else can be used because I'm allergic to all tree nuts, so no ground almonds for me, I'll figure something out though, cause I have to have dessert everyonce and a while!). To keep the moisture in the cake that you normally get from oil, they use things like butternut squash or carrots or even beets. (See where our skeptism is coming in, but hey, we're willing to give it a shot, we just have to figure out what to subsitute for the ground almonds.)

Last night we made our very first meal using the Cook Yourself Thin method. We made Steak and Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. I know, you're making an EEWWWWW face right now aren't you? Trust me, I was too when I first saw it done on the show. But, again, I thought, we'll give it a shot. I desperately need to get healthier and I have tried so many things, but it's hard to stick to diets. That's why I wanted to try this, it's not dieting, it's basically changing how you cook.

Can I tell you, this was soooooo yummy! I mean mouth-watering yummy! Here is a link to the recipe on Lifetime's website: Steak & Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

Hubby was concerned when he saw the steak was seasoned with fresh rosemary, salt and pepper-that's it, just those 3, he couldn't figure out how it would be good with just those 3, and I'm not a fan of rosemary, so I wasn't looking forward to it. However, it was the Cauliflower potatoes I was really concerned about. But wowzers! It was all delicious! And filling! Here it is:

Yes, that is 3 slices of flank steak you see, not that much steak, and not very many potatoes, but, it was sooo filling! And did I mention mouth-watering delicious! Oh! And did I mention, this whole plate was less then 400 calories! Seriously, less then 400 calories for a whole meal! How's that for yummy, delicious, healthy food!

We decided after last night's success (we bow down to the cooks on the show, we were so wrong in our thinking that it wouldn't be good) we are going to keep on trying out these recipes and see what happens. I'm hoping within a few weeks that I will be feeling healthy enough to start exercising again and hopefully within a year or so I will be at my target weight. That would be so awesome! Wish me luck!

I do have a card to show you, my neice is about to gradute from high school! I'll save that post for tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

I haven't heard of that show, but I just wrote myself a note to DVR it. I think you've inspired me to try those "potatoes" - I'd heard about that before, but have been afraid to try.

Hurry up with that graduation card - I need one to copy! :-)

Jennifer said...

I have never heard of the show either and won't be watching anytime soon..no cable or satellite! So, I'm checking out the website and will be trying some recipes from there. This looks like a great way to just eat healthier!