Saturday, May 30, 2009

Happy Graduation!!

My neice Kim is graduating from High School! I can't beleive it! I have known Kim since she was 3. She is actually my daughter's cousin on her dad's side, so since DD's dad and I never married Kim isn't technically my neice, but she is to me. I have a picture of Kim at the age of 4 holding my daughter when my daughter was only days old. So it's hard to beleive now that here she is, 18 and graduating from High School!



I wanted to make her a card but I don't have any graduation sets. So this is where having my sets all organized and stamped into a binder comes in handy. I was able to open my binder and look for a set to use. I have SU's Year after Year which has a Graduation Cap! SCORE!! I didn't remember that this set included that so yay!! I need inspiration so I went to the gallery at Splitcoast Stampers and I found this adorable card by liandrin16. I love the crayon resist technique and I hadn't used it in ages. So her card inspired me to do just that.

Kim's High School colors are Blue and Gold (if I remember correctly, but I know blue is one of them) so I opted for just the Blue and I did some black as well. First I took my Glossy cardstock and randomly stamped the cap using Momento Tuxedo Black Ink. Then I used my white crayon to highlight the areas I wanted highlighted. Next I took a sponge and my Brilliant Blue ink and sponged over the cardstock until I got the coverage I wanted. The ink doesn't stick to where you put the crayon (hence, Crayon Resist). I then mounted this peice onto Basic Black and used my Signo White Gel Pen to do some faux stitching lines. I mounted all this onto my Whisper White card base and stamped Congratulations from SU's set Holiday's and Wishes (or is it Hugs and Wishes, I always get those two mixed up). I added three brads just for some balance in the top right corner. There you have it, quick, simple, fun. :)

Happy Graduation Kimberly!! I'm so proud of you!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your card turned out really cute! That technique really made the graduation cap stand out! I rarely use that use that stamp set because I have a hard time with it for some reason??? I guess I need to get out the crayons and try this out!

Pam said...

Adorable card! I haven't used crayon resist in a long time and it is so beautiful! (Love the binder idea - how do you have those pages organized?)