Monday, October 06, 2008

World Card Making Day projects

Saturday was World Card Making Day. Splitcoast hostes a bunch of challenges (7 in all) for members to have fun with. It really got the creative juices flowing. Some of my cards I love, some, not so much. But I had a good time making them all. The challenges were fabulous and it was just a fun all around day.


The first challenge was a Sketch Challenge. This is where we are shown a sketch of a layout and we have to make a card following that sketch. The sketch was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. For this card I used the set Seasonal Scenes by Artful Inkables. I absolutely love this set. I actually started off by doing something that I never do. I always choose the colors and papers first and then go from there. With this one I actually chose the stamp, and colored it and pulled the colors from the scene I colored. But I really like how this turned out. I watercolored using of course Stampin' Write Markers and my aquapainter. Supplies: Stamps- Seasonal Scenes (Artful Inkables); Cardstock & Paper- Bordering Blue, Old Olive, Close To Cocoa, Close To Cocoa Printer Paper; Ink- Black Staz-On, Chocolate Chip; Accessories- Stampin Write Markers, Aquapainter


The second challenge was a Featured Stamper challenge. A Featured Stamper challenge is where we are shown someones gallery and told to CASE a card. (CASE stands for Copy And Share Everything). Now there are a couple of rules, 1- when we post our card we must link the original card to our post so as to give the original artist credit. 2- We need to chang at least two things about the card and list what those two things are in our card description.



So the featured stamper for this challenge was ShellyLC05. I love the featured stamper challenges because it is almost always someone whose gallery I have never seen so it showcases all the awesome talent out there. As I was looking through Shelly's gallery so many of her cards caught my eye. But this card really stood out to me. The image is so cute!



For my version of the card I changed the color combo, the image (cause I don't have the one she does), and I moved the layout just slightly to fit my image (since mine was bigger then the one she used), and I added a row of piercing underneath the background strip. I of course used Stampin' Write markers and an aquapainter. I actually added crystal effects after I took this photo to the water parts so that it actually looks more like she is standing in a puddle. For the sentiment I used my marker to color the Tomorrow's Forecast and put that on the front. Then I cleaned the stamp and highlighted the other part to stamp on the inside. So the whole card actually says: Tomorrow's Forecast, Brighter then today.


Supplies: Stamps- And Everything nice, Brighter Tomorrow; Cardstock & Paper- Bashful Blue, Yo Yo Yellow, Real Red; Ink- Black Staz-On; Accessories- Stampin Write Markers, Aquapainter, Crafter's Tool Kit, Ribbon, Cuttlebug, Swirls EF, Window Word Punch, Brads



Inspiration is everywhere, so that is why I love the Inspiration challenges. The 3rd challenge for World Card Making Day was the inspiration challenge. For our inspiration we were shown a picture of the cover of the current Coldwater Creek catalog. I was really struck by the gorgeous fall colors and leaves. So I went with that. For my main image I wanted the colors to really pop. One way I have found to make colors pop is instead of just stamping your image with ink, emboss it. So I embossed the basket with black Embossing powder and then watercolored it and the leaves with, yup, you guessed it, my watercoloring tools of choice, Stampin Write Markers and an aquapainter. Then once the image was dry of all water, I hightlighted parts of the basket and leaves with the same colors. I find that really makes it pop. I actually liked this one so much I may just send out a few Thanksgiving cards this year. We'll see.


Supplies: Stamps- Give Thanks, Holidays and Wishes, Canvas BG stamp; Cardstock & Paper- Really Rust, More Mustard; Ink- More Mustard, Black, Versamark; Accessories- Black EP, Heat Gun, Rafia, Stampin Write Markers, Aquapainter.

I will share more of my World Card Making Day creations later. For now it's time for bed. I worked out today so I have been sore and in pain most of the day. I actually took my pain meds earlier which knocked me out and I slept for a couple of hours, but I am still really tired. So till later....

Oh, and check out Artful Inkables. From now until October 12th Kristin is doing a special where if you order $25 or more she will include with your order a grab bag of stamps FREE!

2 comments:

Ruth Sarah said...

...The first one is my all time favorite!!! You are so creative!!! Can I catch some of that some home? Is creativity contagious?

Jen said...

The first one is so gorgeous!!! Love your DP and great job as usual on the coloring!

All your cards are always so pretty! :)